About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Homemade Naan bread

I rarely go out to eat because eating out in Oslo, is very expensive. I haven't had Indian food for a while and I love Indian food. I have all the ingredients at home for making homemade bread, why not make it myself. Yesterday for dinner I made my own spicy tikka masala and naan bread. This was my first time making naan bread. I love the texture and the taste of it and it went well with my tikka masala.


Ingredients

1 package dry yeast
2 teaspoons sugar, divided
1/4 cup warm water (100 degrees F)
3 1/2 cups bread flour, plus more for rolling
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoon plain yogurt
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup milk

butter
fresh cilantro for topping


Making the naans

In a bowl dissolve yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar and water. Let it sit for 10 minutes until the mixture begins to froth.

In a large bowl, sift the flour, salt, remaining sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.

Add warm milk, yogurt, and butter to the yeast. Stir to combine.

Pour the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix the ingredients together with a fork. When dough is about to come together, use your hand to mix until the dough becomes soft and slightly sticky. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let it sit for 2 hours.

Separate dough into 8 pieces. Using a rolling pin, roll each dough into an oval shape. 8 inches long, 4 inches wide, and 1/4 inch thick. Repeat with the rest of the dough.

Warm about 1 tablespoon of butter in a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Brush both side of the naan with butter and sprinkle garlic powder or any spices you like. Place the naan in the skillet and cook for 1 minute. After a min. flip the naan. Cover the skillet with the lid and cook for another minute, brush with a little more butter if desired, sprinkle with a little salt. Remove the naan from the skillet. Place the naan in tea towel lined dish. Repeat cooking the rest of the naans and serve. Sprinkle with fresh herb.

Here is my homemade spicy chicken tikka masala. I added some Khmer spices into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment