About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My Red Wine Italian beef stew

During the weekend I asked my family what would you like for dinner. BEEF STEW was the answer (husband). I've made this stew before, using South African red wine, tomatoes, beef....... This stew taste so good. When it simmers for hours, the smell is amazing, and taste even better the next day, and very filling. My husband loves stew than soup. I also made pork Spanish red wine soup for myself. That was also one of our favorites.

Ingredients
2 cups chopped carrots 1/2 inch thick
2 cups chopped celery including the leafy part (1/2 inch thick)
1 large onion, diced
1 lb potatoes diced into inch pieces
4 clove garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoon olive oil
tablespoon vegetable buljong powder
2-3 lbs høyrygg(rump roast) cut into 1 inch pieces
1/3 cup all purpose flour and corn flour combined
salt and pepper
Worcestershire sauce
all round seasoning
Italian seasoning
paprika(optional)
cayenne pepper(optional)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3 1/2 cups beef broth
1/2 or 1 cup red wine
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Seasoned beef with salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, paprika, cayenne pepper all round and add flour. Coat beef evenly.

In a soup pot heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium/high heat. Add carrots, celery, onions, potatoes. Saute until lightly golden, then add garlic and saute for a minute.  Add a dash of salt & fresh ground black pepper, and a tablespoon vegetable buljong powder. Transfer to a bowl and set a side.

Return pot to medium/high heat. Add in 3 tablespoons vegetable oil. When oil is hot add beef, cook and stir occasionally for 6 minutes. Add red wine and 1/2 cup of broth. Cook and stir frequently scraping bottom of pan until sauce has thickens. Add remaining beef broth, red wine, diced tomatoes, thyme, sauteed vegetables. I seasoned a little more for flavor. Reduce heat, cover, simmer for 4 hours. Stirring occasionally until beef is tendered. Stir in parsley. Serve warm with a side of warm crusted french bread.





No comments:

Post a Comment