About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Cambodian and a birthday celebration

This weekend in our family we celebrated a little Cambodian New Year and Leilani's Birthday. She is turning 2 years old on Monday. My children are mixed with American/Norwegian/Cambodian. My family side (my parents) are Cambodian. They both are from Cambodia and migrated to United States because of the war and to have a better life. My siblings and myself are Cambodian American we were all born in New England. My husband and his family are Norwegian. In our family I speak English to my children and my husband speaks Norwegian. Our children speaks both languages. We don't speak Khmer. I do understand Khmer and know little of speaking it. But it's a shame, I wish I can be fluent in Khmer. 
Today I had made Cambodian Loc Lac. It's delicious and easy to make.  Leilani never had it until today and she loved it. She kept asking for more. For desert I had made Crispy Coconut Fried Banana with ice cream and chocolate ganache.

Ingredients
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons minced garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup mushroom soy sauce
3 tablespoons seasoning sauce

Garnish
rapid lettuce
2 tomatoes sliced
sliced scallions (green part)

Marinade beef
dash of salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon seasoning sauce
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 1/2 lbs sirloin( I used entrecote), sliced thin

In a large bowl marinade beef by combining all ingredients and let sit for 1 hour.


Lime Sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoon chopped garlic

In a bowl stir sugar and salt into the lime juice until well dissolved. Add water, black pepper, and garlic and mix well. Covered, set aside, until ready to serve.

Heat up a saute pan at medium/high heat. Until hot add vegetable oil, sugar, garlic, onions, black pepper and stir until caramelized about 30 seconds. Then add marinated beef and stir over very high heat for 3 minutes. Add 3 tablespoon mushroom soy sauce, 2 tablespoons seasoning sauce and stir. Cook for another 3 minutes.

I cooked the beef medium to well done. I pour evenly my lime sauce over loc lac.

Garnished my plates with lettuce, tomatoes and added loc lac on top of the lettuce. Sprinkled with chopped scallions and served with jasmine rice. 





In a bowl crack 1 egg, tablespoon coconut powder, 2 tablespoon sugar. Whisk well. Sliced 2 bananas total 8 sliced bananas. Add into egg mixture, soaking well. 
 In another bowl combine 1/2 cup bread crumbs and 1/2 cup coconut flakes. Transfer soaked bananas to the crumb/flake mixture. In a pan on medium/high heat add 3 tablespoons coconut oil. When pan hot fry the banana. 4 minutes on each side until brown/crispy.

Serve with homemade chocolate ganache and vanilla ice cream.

For my daughter's early birthday treat I made her a light muffin with nutella, chocolate, and marshmallow. She ate about 4 of these.





No comments:

Post a Comment