About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Lemon grass chicken soup with rice noodle


This is what happens when I have a son in school. We all catch some kind of flu. It seems when my kids have the flu it last for a short time but with my husband and myself it feels longer. This winter had been tough because of the flu season. 

I made this simple lemon grass chicken soup serve with rice noodle or steamed jasmine rice. My kids love this soup. It's simple to make and helps with the ache. 

When my parents visit me in Norway. They told me use lemon grass and no need to use preserved lemon. If I wanted to use the preserve lemon I could but I didn't. Not a fan of the taste. I wanted to share this Cambodian soup I've made but my own way. Here is the ingredients and how I made it.

Ingredients  
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped

2 stalk lemon grass, crushed end
1/2-1 teaspoon ginger paste or few slices of fresh ginger
1.3 kilo whole chicken, skin removed, cut into pieces (seasoned with salt, pepper, seasoning salt, and 1 tablespoon seasoning sauce)


1 small onion, chopped
2-3 clove garlic, minced
1 stalk lemon grass, crushed end
1 star anise
3 chicken bouillon cubes
4-6 cup water

2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Handful chopped Chinese parsley
1 bok choy, rinsed, chopped


Fresh rice noodles
Fresh bean sprouts
2 slices lime wedges
handful chopped fresh coriander
1 stalk green onion, chopped
salt & ground black pepper for taste

Heat a soup pot on medium heat, add in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, covering whole bottom of the pot. Sprinkle chopped onion, add in 2 stalks lemon grass and ginger paste. Add in seasoned chicken. Then top with small chopped onion, 1 stalk lemon grass, minced garlic, star anise, and chicken bouillon. Couple minutes later increase the heat to high


Pour in 4-6 cup of water, add in fish sauce and sugar,  bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Reduce heat and let simmer for another 30-40 minutes.
Add in chopped Chinese parsley and bok choy. Covered and simmered for another 10-15 minutes.

 After simmering for 15 minutes, it's ready to be serve.

 In a soup bowl add in fresh cooked rice noodles, fresh bean spouts, chopped fresh coriander and chopped spring onions, and seasoned with a little salt and ground black pepper.

 Ladle soup over rice noodle bowl and squeezed fresh lime juice on top and drizzle a little sriracha hot sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment