About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Saturday, February 2, 2013

The update on what's happening in my kantina.......

I had been very busy during the week cooking, baking, running errands, taking care of  3 wild kids and a husband, they caught some flu. Good thing they are all doing better. What I love about Friday, it's my day off and it's weekend. 

February 1, 2013 was a very special day. Our 10 years anniversary, the day I moved out of a little town in New England to moving to Norway. I honestly never imagine myself living in Norway, ever. Raising a family, and living life. I still can't speak Norsk well. I have known my husband for almost 12 years. He is the best thing that ever happen in my life. What an adventure we had during the past 10 years of living together. I can't wait for another 10 years and more to see what life brings to us. 

My daughters in my kitchen at my cafeteria.

My son trying to charm his way for one of mommy's chocolate muffin.
Running a cafeteria/kantina is not easy especially in Norway. Now I understand why it cost so much to eat out in the city. Buying supplies in Norway is so expensive especially for making American food. It cost twice the price than back home. Even if I asked one of my family members to ship me some things that I need back from the states, the shipping and handling cost around 50 to 100 dollars, depends on the weight and cost.

I do all the prep work and the cooking by myself  and I love it. I have noticed that my blueberry muffins and chocolate muffins were a hit. I sold all of it. My hot pockets and pork spring rolls are a hit too. Besides making Broccoli & Ham Cheddar Cheese and Pizza Hot Pockets. I also made BBQ chicken hot pockets. Those were really tasty.

The hardest part working in the kitchen is my kids. They are always with me. They have a play room near by but they seem to be more attach to me. It's stressful at times and challenging trying to do both. My husband's shop is across the hall but still the kids just want their mommy. I'm glad that my husband helps me with the kids. He tries his best to keep them busy while I'm working in my kitchen.

One of my daughters cried because I sold out all my muffins. She really loved the blueberry ones. I have to make some on her birthday which is in April.

Anyways here are somethings I have made and sold in my kitchen.








My pork filling for my spring rolls. (ground pork, oyster sauce, Chinese cabbage, carrots, onion, garlic,.........)



Spring rolls rolled and sealed.



Ready to serve with a side of sweet chili sauce. 2 pork spring rolls for 30kr-
My fillings for my hot pockets. Broccoli & Ham cheddar cheese, pepperoni, marinara sauce, and mozzarella cheese, BBQ chicken with onions, garlic, mushroom, BBQ sauce......

Pizza filling (sauce)

Pepperoni

& mozzarella cheese

Broccoli & Ham cheddar cheese

BBQ chicken topped with mozzarella cheese

Pizza Hot Pockets ready to be bake in the oven
and the others too
I had made about 30 hot pockets. 20kr for 1







My chocolate, chocolate muffins........




I made a dozen muffins. Next time I might make more.





This is how they turned out and they were all sold out. 20kr a muffin or 30kr with coffee.


For my husband and I special day I had made broccoli, ham, macaroni and cheese heart shape pie topped with crushed Ritz cracker. Baked in the oven. Came out great. Special day for a special husband.

Heart shape cheese omelet

Heart shape blueberry pancakes. 

Mozzarella, tomatoes, basil grilled sandwich served with marinara sauce

Elmo sandwich I made during the week for my son's lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment