About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Monday, February 4, 2013

Orange Chicken

I haven't had orange chicken for almost 4 years. When I'm in the states I would go to Panda Express in Boston or when I order Chinese food I would order orange chicken, veggies, and rice. I miss American Chinese food so much, actually I miss American food. I would like to take a vacation from cooking and go back home for a week. I have to say most Chinese food in Oslo that I have tried are kind of bland. I'm not a fan of eating out in Oslo besides being expensive, I think it's a waste of money. But if I were to go out to eat in Oslo I prefer Vietnamese, Thai, or Indian food because they are my favorite and I like spicy food. 

Today while watching King of Queens, there was a scene in the mall when Arthur Spooner said, "Panda Express, I could eat." All I thought was ORANGE CHICKEN. So I checked what I had in my kitchen. I had about 2 kilos of chicken breast and I had most of the stuff that I need to make Orange Chicken. All I needed was to get some oranges and starch at the store. It was a struggle out there. SNOW SNOW and more SNOW. My hands felt like it was going to fall off because it was so cold, couldn't find any brush to brush snow off my car. I will never get used to this cold Norwegian weather. Anyways at least I got the stuff I needed.


 For my orange sauce 
1 cup water 
1/3 cup sugar or 1/2 cup sugar (if not using ketchup)
1/2 cup ketchup (optional)
1/8 cup vinegar
tablespoon soy sauce
4 teaspoons cornstarch or potato starch
1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1/3 cup marmalade
1 tablespoon chopped scallions

In a sauce pan added water and whisked in sugar, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, grated orange zest, marmalade, cornstarch. Whisked until well combine and thick over low/medium heat. Remove from heat. (add in more liquid if it's too thick)

Meanwhile cut chicken into chunks and marinade with a little soy sauce, grated ginger, pepper, salt....

 My flour batter.
 Coated chicken with flour batter.
 Fried my chicken in olive oil because I didn't have vegetable oil. It came out good and crispy. After I was done frying all chicken. I heated my orange sauce over medium to high heat, stirring constantly and from burning, then I added in my fried chicken into my orange sauce and coat well. Topped with chopped scallion and red pepper flakes. Served with steamed rice and steamed broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment