About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Curry coconut chicken soup

My kids favorite curry coconut chicken soup, a bit spicy but that's how they like it.

Curry Coconut Chicken Soup
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 lb skinless chicken breast
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 shallots, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1 medium onion, diced

1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup coconut cream
1 tablespoon seasoning sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons palm sugar

2 tablespoons curry paste (follow recipe)
1-2 tablespoons tamarind juice
tablespoon curry powder

6 potato (peeled, cut into cubes)
1 eggplant (peeled, cut into cubes)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth



Cut chicken breast into bite size pieces (seasoned with seasoning sauce, salt and pepper)

Peel and cut egg plant and potatoes into bite size pieces

In a large sauce pan on medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil. When heated add in minced garlic, ginger, shallots and diced onions, cooked for 1-2 minutes. Add in chopped chicken breast, stir and cook for 5-6 minutes.

Add in curry paste and tamarind juice to the chicken, stir and combine for 2 minutes. Then poured in coconut milk, seasoning sauce, fish sauce, sugar. Stir in curry powder, potatoes, eggplant, and chicken stock. Add a dash of salt and red pepper flakes (optional) and cook for 6 minutes then let simmer until vegetable are cooked. Serve with cooked rice.






Curry Paste
3/4 teaspoon turmeric
5 whole black peppercorns (crushed with a mortar and pestle for finely ground pepper)
1 tablespoon coriander seeds (toasted in a skillet for 2 minutes, set a side to cool, then place in a mortar and pestle for finely ground coriander)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon cinnamon

2-4 red chili (breaking off stems and spooning out most of the seeds)
2 stalk lemon grass (chopped off grassy tops, leaving about 4 inches, included the base and root end. Sliced crosswise into thin rounds and then coarsely chopped)
8 shallot
6 clove garlic
2 tablespoons galangal
cilantro
kaffir lime leave
1 tablespoon shrimp paste
1 or 2 tablespoons oil

In a food processor added in red diced chili, chopped lemongrass, shallots, garlic, galangal, cilantro, kaffir lime leaves, shrimp paste, all of the spices (turmeric, pepper, coriander, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon). Stir gently to combine before process. Then add 1 or 2 tablespoons oil and process until almost smooth paste. Scrap paste into a bowl and set a side.


No comments:

Post a Comment