About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas


The other day for lunch I made whole wheat tortilla buffalo chicken wraps. It was yummy and I made my own whole wheat flour tortillas.

Buffalo ground chicken:
 http://sorieyahomemadecooking.blogspot.no/2012/09/quick-and-simple-buffalo-chicken-tacos.html

Wheat flour tortillas
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups whole wheat bread flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons melange (Melange is almost like shortning (www.melange.no). I couldn't find shortning in the Norwegian grocery stores and I didn't want to take a drive to Sweden just to buy shortning so I just used melange).
1 1/2 cups hot water

In a large mixing bowl, combined flour, wheat flour, baking powder, and salt combined well with a whisk. Then I added in melange with a fork break into small pieces. Then I added in hot water, stirred until dough became thick, knead with my hands until dough was smooth and not too sticky.

I separated my dough into balls about 2 inches diameter. Let dough balls rest on the table for 8 minutes, covered with a clean kitchen towel. On a flour surfaced I roll each balls into an 10 inch circle with a rolling pin and flat as can be but not too too thin.

In a skillet on low/medium heat, cooked each tortillas for about 1-3 minutes on both side just until it was cooked through/lightly brown.

I stacked tortillas under a clean towel to keep them warm and kept cooking the rest. I filled in my wheat tortillas with buffalo ground chicken, crumbled blue cheese, crisped lettuce, and shredded Jarlsberg cheese served with a side of homemade blue cheese dipping sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment