About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Beef and Bacon Stew

The weather in Norway is getting cold and dark. What would make my husband happy is one of his favorite dish, one of my homemade stews. I made beef and bacon stew just for him. For some reason he think stews taste better the next day. Whatever make him happy.


2 1/2 quarts water
1 cup carrots, peeled, diced into small bite size

1 cup potatoes, peeled, diced into small bite size
dash salt
Olive oil
2 bay leaves
4 beef bouillon
2 onion, diced
1 1/2 lbs okse lapskaus kjøtt ( beef stew meat) cut into cube seasoned with salt, black ground pepper, other spices and herbs, seasoning sauce, Worcestershire sauce, 3 tablespoons corn flour.
8 slices bacon, chopped small size
3/4 cup beef stock
2 tablespoons cup white wine
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 cup peas


In a large soup pot filled with 2 1/2 quart water, added in 1 cup chopped potatoes and 1 cup chopped carrots, 2 bay leaves, a dash of salt, 4 cubes of beef bouillon, and drizzle a little olive oil.  Boiled vegetable until tendered for 30-40 minutes.



Cut stew meat in bite size and seasoned with herb and spices. A couple tablespoons seasoning sauce and couple tablespoons corn flour. Mixed well with my hands and set a side. Then I chopped 8 slices bacon into small bite size. Chopped 2 onions and 3/4 cup of beef stock on the side.
While vegetable was boiling for half hour, remove bay leaves with a ladle. 
In a large pan on high heat, heated a few tablespoons margarine. When melted added in onions and bacon sauteed for 5-7 minutes. Then stirred in marinaded coated beef meat, stirred and cook for 10 minutes Slowly poured in beef stock, white wine, and heavy cream. Stirred and cook until sauce was thickened. Transfer beef and bacon into soup pot that is already filled with vegetable and broth. Add in peas and let simmer, covered, and cook for 15- 30 minutes. I ladled about 1/2 cup broth in a saucepan with 2 tablespoons heavy cream and dissolved 3 tablespoons flour, on medium high heat whisked until sauce thickens and poured back into the stew. Stirred, covered, and let simmer until ready to serve.

Ladle into a bowl and serve with warm toasted baguettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment