About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Asian Food

For dinner tonight was more like Chinese food but all homemade. Crispy Tempura beer chicken bites, mini chicken fingers, homemade pad Thai, homemade kimchi, and steamed Jasmine rice.


Tempura Beer batter recipe

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 bottle alcohol free beer

In a large container add all ingredients, mix with a fork 



1 1/2 lb fresh chicken breast, cut into bite size. Seasoned chicken with salt, garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, 1/2 tablespoon mushroom soy sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon seasoning sauce. Mixed well with my hands.



Pour seasoned/marinaded chicken into my beer tempura mixture.










Covered with lid and shook container so all the chicken were well coated with the batter. Set aside for 15 minutes.




15 minutes later, chicken were well coated.



Dipped chicken few at a time in all purpose flour.



In a deep pot filled vegetable oil half way. Heated pot on medium-high heat. When oil was hot. I fried them 5-7 at a time for 4-6 minutes until golden crisp. Lay them on cooling rack to get rid of excess oil. Placed on a clean plate and continued frying the rest of my chicken.
I made some without coating with flour. They were more like mini chicken fingers like those you get in Chinese restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment