About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Traditional Norwegian Food

Some traditional Norwegian food

Norwegian caviar on fresh baked Norwegian bread with boil eggs. My husband's favorite. This is not my kind of food. I'm really not into fish eggs or and not so much sea food either.


This is another Norwegian dish Norske Kjøttkaker ( Norwegian meatballs with tyttebær ( almost like cranberries), boil potatoes, and veggies)

Norwegian Meatballs
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1 eggs
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon seasoning sauce
1 tablespoon potato flour
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon all spice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper
3-5 tablespoon margarine

I combine with my hands all the ingredients in a large bowl. I shape them in ovalish, round shape and fried them with butter (I used plant margarine) for about 3 minutes on each side. Set them a side and made homemade gravy.


Gravy
1 stick margarine
2 onion, chopped
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon celery salt
other spices and herbs optional
2 cups homemade chicken stock
1 tablespoon cognac
2 tablespoon måt flote (food cream/heavy cream)

I used a large saute pan and heat up margarine on high heat and added my onions and cook for 15 minutes to get the onion caramelized. Then I whisked in my flour and added salt, pepper, celery salt, and herbs. Stir and cook for about 3 minutes. Added the chicken stock, cognac, and måt flote. Stir and cook until thickened. I added more seasoning to my taste. I took the meatballs and pour it into a pot with the gravy and cooked until the meatballs were done about 15 minutes on medium heat. Stir so it didn't stick. Serve it with tyttabær, potatoes, and veggies. I made the meatballs a bit different because I like more flavour.


 

 This is traditional Norwegian Christmas rib. One of my favorites. The only thing missing was cranberry sauce.


1 comment: