About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Red Pork Buns


I have been feeling homesick for a while and I was craving for these pork buns. There isn't any China town in Norway or any Chinese bakery that I know of either.  So I made my own version of Red Pork Buns. These taste just like the ones I would buy in China town, Boston. My dad loves pork buns too. I remember as a kid he would make these buns. It's pretty easy to make and he would be very proud that I have made my own. I wanted to share this recipe so here it is........



In a bowl mix 1 1/2 cup flour, 1 package instant dry yeast, and 1 cup water.
Mix all ingredients with hand. Knead until slightly smooth dough.



 Red Lotus special flour I bought at my local Asian market










In another bowl add 1 cup of red lotus brand (special white flour), 2 teaspoon baking powder, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 egg white, and 3 tablespoon butter. 





Add the flour dough into this mixture and knead.





Knead and form into a large ball. Set in a bowl, cover. Let rest until double size.

While dough is rising. For my filing mixed together in a bowl a pound ground pork, salt, pepper, seasoning sauce (like maggi or golden mountain soy sauce)red pork seasoning (have the recipe on my other blog called Fried Rice and Asian red prok), chopped 1 small onion, 3-4 clove minced garlic, 2 stalk chopped green onion. Mix all ingredients well and set a side.

I also added on the side of my filling sausages (Chinese sausages) and sliced boil eggs to go with my filling. You can also add other veggies like chinese cabbage, shitake mushrooms, diced carrots. Any veggies you perfer.

After dough has double it size. I cut dough into 12 portions.

I knead each dough and shape them into ball shape. Then flour surface with special white flour. Used my rolling pin and flat each into circles with the edge thinner than the middle

Then in the center of dough I add ground red pork mixture, eggs, and sausages.

Then pinched the seams tightly forming into a bun. Placed small square baking paper underneath prevent them from sticking in the steamer.


These are ready to be steamed.
Place buns in a bamboo steamer and add water to the pot water can not touch the bambo steamer and steamed buns on medium/high heat for 12-14 minutes. Turn off heat and let rest for 5-7 minutes. Serve hot.
After steaming. These taste exactly like those in the Chinese bakery.



No comments:

Post a Comment