About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My tater tot recipe

Homemade tater tots


I haven't had tater tots since 2002. My kids has never tried it. I know they don't sell them in Norwegian grocery store, maybe something similar but they don't taste like tater tots back in the States. Why not make your own tater tots. So I did and my kids loved it.


You will need 2 qt. saucepan with lid, hand grater or box grater, large bowl, heavy bottom pot or a deep fryer, tongs, & paper towel.

Ingredients

4 russet potatoes scrubbed, clean, and dry

Pam Spray

2 teaspoons salt and more for seasoning

1 1/2 teaspoon pepper and more for seasoning

Seasoning or herb of your choice ( paprika, seasoning salt, parsley, oregano, cayenne pepper,garlic powder)

1 egg beaten

1/2 cup all purpose flour

vegetable oil


Clean and peel potatoes. Put potatoes in a 2 qt saucepan and fill the pot with enough cold water to just cover them. Bring to a boil and add a little salt and Pam spray or 1/2 tablespoon butter while its boiling. Then cover and reduce heat to low. Let potatoes simmer for 1/2 hour. Then slightly cool potatoes for handling.

In a large bowl, grate potatoes using a hand grater or grater box. Add 1 egg lightly beaten to the grated potatoes and stir. Then add flour and mix. Season potato mixture with salt and pepper and other seasoning and herbs of your choice.


 Form potato mixture into small balls

In a heavy bottomed pot pour in the vegetable oil, just use enough oil to fill the pot halfway. Heat to 375 degrees F to medium high heat.

Add potato balls in batches to the hot oil. Lower them gently into the oil to avoid oil splash and from burning yourself. Fry for 5 minutes or until golden.


Remove the fried potatoes with tongs and transfer to a paper towel line tray or a colander to drain the excess oil. Season with salt and pepper. Let them cool slightly before serving.




With the left over tater tots I made them into a casserole dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment